Thursday, February 09, 2006

silly childhood

Some mention by Vinu in his mail about an incident has inspired me to write this.
Well this is about a lakhsa deepotsvam at a local temple which my friend Saroja and myself went with my little brother Gopi and her little sister Radha. (They must have been around 4 to 5 years of age). It was crowded like any usual fare, and suddenly we wanted to go and lit the diyas. We asked the kids to sit in a place and went to the diyas. When we came back after 10 minutes hey and presto there was no Radha or no Gopi. We panicked, and we started crying profusely. Then some body suggested public address system which was used to render some music. So the whole, maidan was reverborating with Radha, Gopi where ever you are come here in kannada. Mean while we both started praying to God and bargaining with Him as to what all we will do and will not do once we get back our siblings. We were roaming here and there when suddenly we saw Saroja's elder sister. She was surprised to see us crying and the announcement. She chided us as to what the hungama was about. When we were perplexed she said Gopi and Radha are back home long back and you are here searching for them. It never occured to us that we should go home (which was about half a kilo meter from the temple ) and see if they had gone home.
We got good scoldings from our moms and our siblings got the same from us is a different story.
Even now when I visit the 'mallikarujuna' temple I just smile

4 comments:

bluejagger said...

of course mine. I have no right to say that about my sibling.

vasukumar said...

hi hi, politically correct, are you?

bluejagger said...

normally I am not. you know that. This one time some sense prevailed I suppose.

RRao said...

Ya, I still remember! in My defence, I must say I got so scared with all the deepas below and around us (we both were sitting on a elevated platform next to Ashwatha tree near the temple), Thank God! Gopi knew the way home... :-)
Gopi & I were talking about this yesterday.

So many great memories!
Radha