Saturday, March 01, 2008

Fitness Run




There was a Fitness Run organized in Tejas's school here in the nearby lake garden. I had heard about the fitness run through Ayeysha my friend who is from Maldives and whose daughter is in the 9th grade in the same school. So I kind of made my routine walking to jogging for the past month or so. I never knew jogging will be tough. Usually I can walk many rounds around our condominium which is approximately 650 meters. But Jogging I found is quite tough. Even one round I could not jog continuously and had to walk in between. It is another matter that Tejas used to beat me walking while I was jogging. My aim was to complete the run whether walking or jogging.
Finally the D day arrived which was this Saturday. There was this continuous rain from morning 5.30 a.m. The irony was there was practically no rain at all for almost a month here and rain Gods had to see us running and arrived on time on this day. We all reached the venue on time at 7.30 with all proper running gear with hubby dear with a camera to shoot all of us. It started pouring. we were all standing under the tents erected for the purpose of the run. Finally they announced that the run will start as per schedule. It was class wise for the students and there was separate race for girls and boys. Tejas's class had to go 3.2 kms which was two rounds around the lake. First round he did quite well and was in 3rd place but once he started second round I could see him walking talking to his friends!! If I had a mega phone I would have shouted to him to run. It was quite a tough run for the kids (4th ,5th and 6th boys and Tejas is in 4th) and Tejas was able to finish the run in 6th place. I was quite happy that he did that and came within 10 places. But poor kid did not get a medal as only first five places were given medals.
In the Category of 9th , 10th 11th girls who also ran 3.2 kms., Ayeysha's daughter Noor came first. She was way ahead of all the other competitors. We were all very happy.
All this happened amidst drizzling rain.
Finally it was the run for parents and teachers (women). It was 1.6 kms that is just one round around the lake. I started and completed and am happy that I completed within first 10 ladies and also I never walked and jogged the whole round. Ayeysha came 3rd. So mother and daughter both got medals and it was really great.
Tejas was disappointed that I did not get any medal. When I told him that I was the only grandma who ran and he should tell his friends that, he said ' why would I tell that you are my grandma?' That it self was like getting a medal for me. Only few of my friends knew that a grandma was running but I felt elated and told Tejas that I would run a fitness run with his kid too.
All this was made possible because of Anand. One of his dreams is that we should be running the small charity runs with him and he bought me a running shoes when I visited USA last time. So I have made a beginning and has run with the shoes he bought for me. Now I will run better and has decided to practice in the lake garden which we never knew existed so near our house.
Hubby dear did not run as he is not practicing and without practice it is not advisable to run at our age.

6 comments:

moss said...

You are so inspiring and such a good sport that nothing is impossible...great run and lot of fun ..big applaud for you! ...awesome! some magic with that nike shoes too eh? *winks* :) :) :)

vasukumar said...

keep it up.Want fotos!

ramamanikr said...

Three cheers!!!
For grandparent participating in parent's event!!!

bluejagger said...

I have uploaded some pictures.

ramamanikr said...

Ah, the fotos!
P.T.Usha in making!!

shyamala balram said...

WoW, this is really inspiring. Here I am, talking proudly about going for walks three times a week , cannot believe that you really ran. Is it the truth?