Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Santa Barbara




Here I am living in one of the lovely places in US of A. This is the first time I am living in Sunny California. The weather I am told is the best in the whole of the Country. It is Sunny, but not hot or humid. Cool breezes keeps blowing in spite of the Sun. We live very near the beach. Just 5 minutes drive from the beach.

This is a suburb called Goleta in Santa Barbara. I have always associated humidity with any beach and this one is very different. The beach itself is not big, but the view is fantastic with so many curves and cliffs can be seen from the beach. The water is also not pristine blue but muddy and also dirty with lot of sea weeds. The town is not very big but very neatly spread out with one storey houses (two levels). I am told that there is restriction in building more than one floor, so even the banks and the hotels are not the multi storey buildings but just one level or two levels.

The time of my visit being summer I see lot of flowers and what I see is big 'arali' plants with lovely white and pink and magenta colours. I don't know what it is called in English it is called as 'kanigale hoova' in Kannada. I have seen so many of this bush back home and also in KL where I have one plant in my little garden which, with so much care gives one or two flowers a day. This flower is sold in India as it is used in 'pooja'. These bushes have to be seen to believe it is this flower as the bush which stands on the side of the road is full of flowers completely hiding the bush itself.

I see lot of Eucalyptus trees and also healthy hibiscus shrubs.

Anand's one room first floor apartment overlooks a tree which has a mapelish kind of leaf. I can see the tree from the kitchen window and it is as if it is saying 'hello' to me every morning. He has a small kitchen garden in his balcony where he has planted some cherry tomato plants and also some ladies finger plants. The cherry tomatoes have started yielding where as the other plants does not look as if it is going to yield. I was so thrilled to pluck some eight little tomatoes and use it for my cooking and the dish also turned out so well.

Santa Barbara has a beach which is about half an hour drive from here and it is a tourist centre. The whole place looks like an European town and I need to go by walk in those roads where there are malls which look like some old building. No modern high rise buildings are called Malls which I am so used to in Malaysia, I would like to go and see those shops. I am told the wares are quite expensive over there and so I would like to do some window shopping.

A mountain range over looks this little town and there are few houses dotted in the lower level of this mountain range. We went to a Vedanta Centre which was in such a place . It turned out to be a place which has a meditation hall and the centre is formed by was followers of Ramakrisha Paramahamsa. The hall had a serene atmosphere where no external sound was there being in the middle of no where and it was a good experience to sit there and meditate.

2 comments:

moss said...

You are really enjoying the trip and even blogging about it! :) load some pictures as well! We've better beaches but still I'm bit jealous about your trip in USA (rolling eyes)

vasukumar said...

i read in the newspapers today about the people leaving their houses and camping in their cars for the night in santa barbara and other places. Suddenly how things change and for the worse.It is scary