Tuesday, July 02, 2013

In and around London

Today was the day we had planned to see the places in and around the place in which we stayed.
First we went to Trafalfar Square.  Beautiful place.  I was very impressed.




The Changing  of Guards (Palace Guards)   happen on certain days of the week and that day ,  the changing  of guards were to take place  in front of the gates of Buckingham Palace.  Lots of people  had assembled there.  We climbed the steps of the Queen Victoria Statue in front of the Palace. (Deepa had told us it is the best place to watch).  We had to wait for half an hour in the hot Sun for the Guards to come.  The Guards  came from both sides of the Road in front of the Palace.  The March past was insipid and lacked energy.  The main gates were closed and we ccould see through the  bars of the gates,   the  Guards  going up and down and doing some rituals.   Band was playing Music and the gate opened and  some soldiers marched out. Already the other guards had gone inside.

    On close quarters the head gear looked quite ugly to say the least.  The day was hot and I was wondering how the Guards  would feel underneath the head gear.  All this took  about an hour or so to get over.   I felt this is very very over rated and  the  crowd which comes there is unbelievable.  (  May be because,  this one you can view without paying any money!!)



















This picture got turned but this is a nice picture so I had to add it. 


We came back to room in the tube, ate the food I had already prepared and kept in the room.  We just walked to Victoria Albert Museum which was on the same road  in which we  were staying.  
It was Huge.   We spent about an hour there and saw the mechanical Tiger which Tipu Sultan had made and brought here by the British.   There are so many exhibits I think an exclusive day or more is required to see this. How nicely they maintain the things which are brought from all over the world.  I am happy that at least they are preserving all this  for the posterity.













I felt as if I did not see anything and decided I would try to pay one more visit to this lovely Museum.   We just took the train from South Kensington  Station which is just few steps underground from the Museum.  All these places of interest have stations very near by.  We got down at Baker Street.

  Just we stepped out and few steps away was the Madame Tussuad's Wax Museum.

There was very big discussion about this particular visit and my kids,   all the three of them warned me not to go there as it is not at all good. One more friend also told me that it is not good but said  just go and see if you really want to.  I was just curious,  as I had never been into any wax museums.  In LA and NY I had decided I will go to The Wax museum in London.
So on we marched only to find that there was a big queue consisting mostly of Indians!!  We had not bought tickets in advance and hence had to cool our heels for about one  and half hours there.  Luckily my niece had given me 2 for 1 offer coupon so we got some discount on the tickets. 

I felt all the statues of Indians in this Museum look very sad and not at all good.  I felt other country dignitaries were better.  Conversely,  may be we are so used to seeing our Stars, Cricketers so often (on TV  and Cinema, Media,   I mean)  that we know how they look and hence we feel it is bad.    I don't know if I was right about this. 
.  Totally it was bad but still I enjoyed clicking pictures next to lot of dignitaries.


















There was a big queue to take pictures with the wax models of the Royal Family (Queen, Her Husband, Prince Williams and Kate)  It was exciting!!  Ha!!
Here is the Picture.



There was a kind of a Car ride which took us ,  to the scenes of  London from so many years ago.  It reminded me of the ride we took in Chocolate Factory in Hershey's in US where we took similar ride.  
This one was better.
This was included in the  ticket and there was a 4D show,  also included in which Super Men  were saving London  from bad guys.   They showed all important Land Marks of London.  It was nice.
From here we proceeded to Oxford Street by walk. 
I had heard a lot about Oxford Street and just wanted to see if I can do any shopping but I did not get anything of interest and so bought nothing and we returned to the room.  End of the day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your pictures with Marylin Munroe and Royal family.