Monday, November 28, 2005

cricket and we

Well first of all I wonder whether I should also join in the fray by commenting on this game. But I am reading too much nonsense ( it is a strong word) in the media, I had to have my say.
Majority of the people will not share my sentiments but I would definitely want to air my opinion.
Once upon a time I was a great cricket fan, coming from the family of great cricket playing brothers, (three of them being the captains their college team) and used to miss college to hear the radio commentary.( those days tv had not yet come into existance).
But once the scandal of the match fixing hit us with a big bang I felt like a big fool, who had watched in tv every single cricket match. When it was proved that there was indeed match fixing, I felt why I did waste my time watching it when the players (some of them at least) were not playing for the game but for money. It was such a disgusting feeling that I stopped watching cricket even though I was a great fan of the game and of some great players.
Till today I don't watch the matches and feel that undue importance is being given to the game because of the foolish fans (read it indians) while the executives of board of cricket control are rolling in the money they are getting out of advt. (I remember how only 4 balls in an over is shown in the tv , the first and the last ball of the over taken over by some advt.) and players are also getting exorbitant amounts. Be that as it may, let them have money my grouse is not that, my point is , why not they be professional.
Till last minute we don't know who the captain is. The captains, if they are not the blue eyed boys of the board or the influential members, can be just booted unceremoniously after just a match or two like what happened to Venkata raghavan's captaincy long ago.
The latest row about fans wanting the arrogant young(is he young any more) Ganguly to be taken in the team just because he is from Calcutta is too much for me to take. To add to the fuel some stupid coach who happens to be from some other country does something with his finger and almost riots are erupting in our cities.
We should stop playing this game for some time . Once Salem starts quacking we will get the concrete details about the match fixing. This sport which has become an underworld's game and the game of the Board of Cricket control who think they are some demi Gods. If they have to wake up, every body should stop watching this game. It can be done only when people stop watching for one's principle of not being taken for a ride, the game can come back later with a better respect for the people who watch it and make it such a big game in the first place.
But we don't have such collective wisdom of boycotting such things which insult the public.
So cricket will be played as if it is a fiefdom of some few big wigs.

3 comments:

vasukumar said...

I agree with you; that cricket was a big craze when we were in school and college and the 'radio only' days.
I do remember the passion with which i used to watch cricket matches in the 80's.
But then these matchfixing scandals have left a body blow on the game being a fun thing.
It did get me off watching the game for a good number of years.
But now i have started watching it for the sheer entertainment value and having a relaxing time.Not taking any sides, watch the entire dynamics of the game.It is not real but a screen play!

vin said...

I too am not a big fan these days. I prefer football instead. Firstly yeah, there's too much politics in the management level. In the player level, there are some who give it their all. And some others who try to pull strings to try and hang on to the an undeserving place in the team. But, You can watch the game from time to time for the commited performers.
There's money, politics, drugs in every event including olympics, tour de france, football, athletics, tennis. But you can't stop watching these games cause of a few traitors.

YmawsydnA said...

Try watching NBA.