Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Snow

The first snowing of the winter has started today. I am just watching it from the glass window of anu's house. This is just the first few snow flakes falling on the ground. Since the ground temperature is above the freezing temperature, when it falls to the ground it is falling as water. It is so fascinating to watch this. These are like cotton flakes what we call 'panju podi' in tamil.
I always love watching rains. This is also rain (sleet?) falling as snow. It is just a beginning. So the roads etc are not yet filled with snow and turned white. It is just the snow flakes. This I am told is sort of dangerous to walk and drive as it will be very slippery. I am waiting for the snow fall when the ground temperature is also sub zero and the whole place will look white and lovely. This is what I wanted to look at so long ago in Srinagar. But I can afford to say this is lovely, as I am sitting inside the comfort of the house with a heater system to boot. All the others have to wear layers of dress, remove the sheet of snow from their cars and drive carefully which is such a pain. No wonder these people long for sunny days.

1 comment:

vasukumar said...

It is magical is it not, the change of seasons. There it is really dramatic when snow starts to fall. All of us have this fascination about snow fall ;for the simple reason that it is unthinkable in chennai or bangalore. I do recall the srinagar connection.
In Chennai the season is changing and last two days my early morning walks i feel a nip in the air and a cool breeze blowing.It is a little early i guess, normally margazhi used to herald this weather in chennai.BUT I WELCOME IT!
Winter can be cruel as i have experienced in Ajmer. I have realised hunger is nothing compared to the cruelty of winter for the poor.I had told myself ,if i give charity then it would be warm blankets to the needy rather than food!!