Monday, January 16, 2006

Language

I have lot of nice memories about my college days and till today I am maintaining good friendship with my college friends. But this blog is not about those things.
When I sit and think about myself in those days, I feel I was very immature and silly compared to todays kids.
I distintly remember the days when the great language war was raging in tamil nadu. That was in late 60s. There was a big strike in Tamil nadu and it was called hindi agitation which helped DMK to come to power. The hatred was so much that a small time college student was able to defeat a big wig like Kamaraj in State election.
It had small repercussion in Bangalore also. There were lot of speeches supporting kannada, one's mother tongue and sanskrit! also. It was sort of anti hindi and ani english too.

Having brought up in karnataka, (bangalore) and tamil being my mother tongue I always had dual loyalty and love? so to say. Every summer holidays spent in Madras used to drag me into arguments with friends over there, supporting kannada and karnataka. I used to argue so vociferously that my grand ma used to scold me for being so boyish!
Back in Bangalore with my school friends some of whom used to childishly rag me for being a tamilian , it used to be a vociferous argument again but this time supporting tamil and tamilnadu.
Coming back to the agitation, we were so charged up, we refused to answer the roll call in english. Some of my friends answered in kannada and some others answered in sanskrit which I remember distinctly saying 'asmi boh' and I answerd saying 'irukken ayya' (which has been refined these days to 'ullen ayya').
Come to think of it, all those things were just emotional outbursts without thinking properly, just talking and doing things for the sake of doing them. It was all just superfluous ideas without actually going through the topics and things in depth.
Now at this age I can understand that language is for communication and each language has its own sweet ness and it is indeed a blessing to know many languages and to read the literature in each language with its naunces is indeed a great thing.
I wish I had such an understanding at that age and had some mentor who could have talked to us without instigating us with more raw emotions, and taught us how to look at life with a calmness.
Or is it a privelege only age can bring.
About today's kids I do feel they know what they want from life which we especially, I did not know. Some might call today's kids selfish, but if each one is to persue his life without harming others, this world will be a better place to live.

2 comments:

vasukumar said...

hi there. Was not much into Hindi hating in 1960s, even though i was veyr much in madras those days. Looking back, amma used to be an avid hindi lover.She used to regularly listen to hindi songs of mukesh on the radio and we grew up listening to those good lyrics also. She was our Hindi teacher and we wrote all those dakshin bharat hindi prachar sabha exams.Our sunday mornings after lunch used to be grabbed by hindi grammer 'rachana'.Wonderful literature and stories and couplets of kabirdas were fed to us by mommie.How can we hate a language when so lovingly given?
Dad used to teach some amount of sanskrit when he used to explain slokas and some scriptures.So sanskrit was also 'on'.
More than it being a mother tongue, a teacher in 10th standard who taught us Tamil made me love the language for its quintessential literature in villi bharatam and panchali sabhatham.
English of course is a part of us now and the beauty of the language is appreciated ever so often almost everyday.
Athai used to give many proverbs in kannada and she used to give its meanings. also taught us many kannada nursery rhymes, so much so, language never really was an impediment,i guess we realised the beauty of languages naturally as part of growing up.

vin said...

Homo Sapiens are inherently flawed...