Sunday, April 02, 2006

language

When I first came to Malaysia seeing the boards on the roads I used to laugh, seeing their spellings. Since it was all Roman alphabets I could read them, and thought these people were weak in spellings and used to laugh at spellings like 'klinik'(clinic) , 'bas' (bus), 'doktor'(doctor)etc.
It took me some time to understand that they have adopted the roman script for their language and they write their words phonetically and all these days what I was reading was not english but bhasa malayu the local language. Slowly I understood that c is 'cha' and k is ka and ' i' is ee and so on.
At one time I thought it is a easy way of learning a language. I was thinking if only we could read all the indian language with roman script learning will be easy . Many of the tamils who don't know the 'deva nagari' script and many of the north indians who don't know the tamil, telugu etc script can learn the other language easily.
Now suddenly it dawned on me because of the roman script of bhasa malayu, when I try to spell many english words I am getting confused. Now also , I see lot of boards on road and try to pronounce them and decipher them with a bhasa malayu dictionary. The result is when it comes to queen's language I am faltering. (Not that I was very strong in that language before.)
So I came to a conclusion that our languages are good as they are and any body trying to learn it let them learn the script also . Another thing I did was went and bought an english dictionary. (our big dictionary is back at home in India) . I am still not comfortable using a dictionary in the net.

1 comment:

vasukumar said...

Same script has its place in the commercial world. Makes things simpler and easy to transact with.
But for pure pleasure, it is a no- no.Language has its own charm and character and it is best taken in its purest form!