Sunday, April 02, 2006

some tv programs

We have here a facility to watch some movies in the tv by paying a certain amount 9.99 Ringets in a particular channel. They show some 9 movies again and again at different times for a whole month and we can watch them. This is one of the advantage of set top box I suppose.
After knowing that June R a tamil movie will be shown this april , immediately I subscribed for the channel over phone. The additional attraction was The Emperor's journey.
About June R I had read quite a bit of write ups in magzines before release itself. It had a very good cast also. Jyotika, Saritha, Kushboo. To add to all this the movie was directed by a woman, some Revathi Verma. So with great expectations, I made my hubby also sit for it the first time they showed on April 1st. It became such an april foolish thing to do.
It was not as good as it was promised and I felt it was an incomplete film. May be the movie was short, but that is not what I mean. I felt it was abruptly ended.
The same kind of experience I got when I went and saw a movie by name'viswa thulasi' a movie again highly hyped by the magzines ( I read basically ananda vikatan, kalki and kumudam which are three decent tamil magzines ) Again a good star cast of mamooty and nandita das and a woman director. I saw that in the local theatre. There also I had the same abrupt ending feeling. I don't think audience will want to pay their hard earned money to see such movies where the director wants to show their talent rather than entertain the audience.
May be I am not used to such kind of movies, or may be the high expectations made me get this disappointment. Here I should mention movies like 'kannathil muthamital', and 'aszagi'. I enjoyed those two movies and they were also sort of off beat movies.
A great relief was ' The emperor's journey' and I wonder how it could have been taken in such a lovely way and how it could be told as a story. It is about the Penguins in the antarctica . It is indeed a wonderful movie.

1 comment:

vasukumar said...

i agree with you about the bad feeling you get when you come back after seeing a bad movie, especially if it had been hyped up so much. I saw Family, yes it is a movie where the Big B was wasted and so also our time and energy for 5 hours