Friday, August 04, 2006

Varalakshmi Pooja

Well yesterday was varalakshmi pooja and I was invited for 'vettilai pakku' by one of my friends and I visited her. There I met many ladies and today morning over the cup of coffee I was updating my hubby dear as to the conversations which took place there. After fully listening to my chatters, he commented did you go to pray or to just talk ' vambu' with other ladies. (point to be noted is this comment came only after I finished the ' vambu ' in full). After getting angry and showing my anger etc etc, his comments did set me into thinking.
All this poojas, and navarathri poojas where the ladies are invited for 'vettilai pakku' has, social and cultural connotation, than any religious meaning. It is an opportunity for people to meet and chat and exchange views ( a dignified way of saying 'vambu') . Each gets an opportunity of showing their musical talents if any by singing off key songs. They get an opportunity to show their artistic or otherwise talents also, in the decorations and settings. (this is especially true in the case of navarathri pooja) They get an opportunity to show their culinary talents also by preparing some tasty dishes. I should not forget to add it becomes an opportunity to show off their new ' sarees' and jewelries.
The greatest advantage of these poojas is the best child hood memories one can have. Each of us have the lovely memories of building a park with lot of sand and lot of scolding from mom for making the whole house full of sand. We used to be so possessive of the dolls exhibited in the navarathri Kolu.
I have a set of brass kid utensils which I display even today, in my kolu with which I used to play once a year just before navarathri started , and it used to be displayed for 10 days and get into the kolu box after wards. I have a set of 'marapachi ' dolls which is handed over to me from my grand mother. All my dolls are waiting in the big Kolu box to be displayed again for a navarathri which I can celebrate in India.
Well so there will be lot of activities going on during these times, and religion and bakthi and prayer will only be by products.

2 comments:

vasukumar said...

koots was telling me yesterday that gossip is essential for life. the healthy gossip which reinforces our interest in fellow human beings. What goes on in their lives is of concern to us.Where does news and gossip separate was a question raised. It is when it is first hand it is news and when it is 'once removed' or 'twice removed' it becomes gossip.
Women network more naturally than men.I think it is time we give it a 'corporate' nomenclature and call it "networking" and not vambu or gossip.

bluejagger said...

Yeah every one of us do enjoy harmless gossip which is not malicious. Our family (my siblings and my parents) had a name for interesting gossips. It used to be called 'aval' and even today we do update each other with lot of latest 'avals'