Thursday, September 07, 2006

jet lag

Well here I am again travelled from one corner of the Globe to the other. It has sort of become a routine with me to travel once in one or two years like this. I am amazed at the different life style in the different parts. I was in India just a fortnight back and the people, the lay out of houses, the shops the narrow roads, traffic etc., makes me think now it is some other planet. or may be now I am in some other planet. What ever it is I am groggy as I have this jet lag which is making me awake at all odd hours of this place and makes me sleepy the whole day.
From India it was KL which has better roads, better shops but still crowded only. Here in USA the places which ever I have visited so far it is the expanse of space which strikes you first. Though it has lot of cars and traffic and in some places lot of people, each locality is spread out with wide roads and lot of greens and lot of space around you. You will be lost if you don't have any transport and that is why I see cars wizzing past with just one passenger all the time. The shopping is so typical which I have mentioned earlier that it is not the customer's choice, it is the shopkeepers choice that certain things are available in only certain stores and there is no variety in the store. (but there is definitely variety in the merchandise, it is almost nausciating to see so many wares displayed). It takes some time for the mind to adjust to the new surroundings and the only order as far as I am concerned comes from the routine I have at home which is almost same which ever part of globe I am in.

1 comment:

vasukumar said...

I do get disoriented when i am in a different city.When i am in the airport i need to check and double check my destination, as mind is still focussed on your last trip to some place!
Jet lag is now assuming dual dimension for you, the body rearranging to the new day/night and the mind to the new surroundings and routine.Sanity is your daily routine.I remember my parents used to say the same thing, wherever they are they continue with their routine of morning walks, exercises, pooja, 10 am lunch and then a little rest, and reading newspaper/magazine,then evening tiffin and then walk and some slokas and a bit of tv serials and then dinner and quiet time/sleep.