Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sanitary Commission

I was reading a book about Civil War. I read about the unhygenic conditions prevailed during the war, the wounded and the dead and the unavailability of good water etc. I read about the Santiary Commission which was trying to do its best though it was 1860s and they were not much aware of the connection between the death rate and the unhygenic conditions. ( for example the surgeons using the same instrument for removing the bullets from different patients just after wiping it and things like that).
I had a chat with vasu which was about the apalling condition of Railway coaches even reserved AC coaches which have rats (Yes it was rats we were talking about) in it.
These two lead me to think about the sanitary condition in India and how we just don't give importance to it at all.
It is ok in 19th century if people were not aware of hygene. But it is unpardonable if in 21st century we are not aware of this. We are aware that diseases are spread by mosquitoes, cockroaches and rats. These abound in places which are kept dirty. This is simple truth every one knows.
Coming back to railways previously each coach used to be thouroughly cleaned before taking up a second journey. Now I wonder if it is done at all. The screens put in the AC compartment is so dirty I wish it is done away with. In the station while we waited, we just could not stand still but dance as there were so many mosquitoes around us. We were in the end of platform where there was no fan.
We are hearing so much about the dreaded chickengunia(how ever it is spelled) which is taking its toll and is spread by mosquitoes.
What we need is a separate sanitary team (in all probabalities we will be having one or more department I suppose) which is given the first priority, money and power so that cleaning is done in war footing.
I remember one of my relative who was of my grand father's generation used to be a sanitary inspector, who used to work in rural areas and used to go from village to village. I wonder what work he did but he used to make his wife's life miserable asking her not to do this or that .
We must be having those posts even now who must be issuing certificates to hotels and eateries. The whole cleanliness of public places has to be taken in a serious way and that department should be given sufficient importance and fundings from the Govt. and should not become a punishment postings like archives department. I feel by rediscovering Sanitary Commission or Department some improvement can be seen.

No comments: