Thursday, May 01, 2008

Power of Technology

It is amazing how the power of Technology has influenced in many ways of our life.

I remember about 30 years back when I was selected to work in Machines department.( which was how Computer department was known as. Those days were not PC days and the data used to be stored in big spools which was maintained in the head office in Bombay) I jokingly said when Computers come to Madurai (where my hubby dear was working and where I wanted a posting) then I will work in this department. I never knew that my words were prophetic and hey and presto within a span of 10 years or so Computers did come to all places including Madurai.
Well my sonny dear bought me an Ipod which we all know as a device mainly used to listen to music when ever we want after down loading the songs from the Lap top or computer of what ever.

I wanted a storage device in which I could store all the pictures I have. Now that we have digital camera the amount of pictures or photos we have has become so huge that it occupies much space even in our personal computer. We have the old paper photos, colour as well as black and white which I want to scan and store in the digital device.
It was suggested by my son that I should get an Ipod wherein I can use it both to listen to the songs as well as store the pictures as it has both facilities and has lot of memory. Then in the same shop I found a device which has two small speakers and has a facility where in I can keep my Ipod and listen to the songs through the speakers instead of putting an ear phone. This has a Radio too so hubby dear and me can both listen to radio or Ipod when ever we want. So we fixed a glass stand in the kitchen and set the lovely device there.

Now came the downloading the music part. Though we were taught how to down load (we means it is hubby dear and I have told him I will learn the trick later) he had to find out the proper way by trial and error. He figured it out yesterday and and put me in a website from where I could select the old hindi songs so that he could save them in the Ipod. This site had some 200 pages of listings and it took me more than half a day to write out the names of the songs I wanted. Now I come to the point where I could see the real power of technology.

When we were in Jullundar Vasu's sister had sent her wordings of a hindi movie song , and Vasu and Swarna used to sing it together in the evenings. I remember the first few words of the song and did not know which movie it was from. Vaguely I remembered the tune and some how I wanted to listen to that song again. When I mentioned this to Vasu about 2 , 3 years back she seemed not to remember it or may be just we did not stay in that particular topic for long to bring it back to memory. Since I did not know the movie name or don't know how to sing it properly I just could not find a way to listen to that song.
Yesterday when I was going through the song list I was so thrilled to see a song which was written as 'Payal wali dekhna...' I think you can imagine how I would have felt. It was like finding some long lost person after a gap of about thirty years. Immediately the song was down loaded and I listened to the song and for those moments I went back to the Jullundar days as if in Time Machine.
Now I am searching for another song from Jullundar days 'Jaane o kaise log o kahate phool ko phool mila. If any body finds it forward it to me.

2 comments:

vasukumar said...

jaane o kaise log pe jin ko pyar ko pyar mila. Ham ne tho jab kaliyan maange kaanton ka haar mila!

you will get it now.

YmawsydnA said...

dear dear oh dear... ek gawv mein ek kisaan raghutata ..