Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Train Journey

I had the opportunity of traveling by Day Train yesterday from Johor Baru to KL.
Vinu and Family were visiting us. He had rented a car from Johor which is about 365 kms from here . Singapore is just across Johor and if you cross the Cause way the other side is Singapore.
Jayashree had to go back on Sunday night itself and Vinu stayed on. He started back on Tuesday morning. I did not want to miss an opportunity of going on a long drive with my Sonny Dear. The road from KL to Johor is excellent and the drive is always most enjoyable. I had never had the opportunity to go on a long drive with Vinu. I told him I would come with him to keep him company instead of him driving all the way alone. But the question arose as to how I would come back. Hubby dear came to the rescue and said that there is a train starting from Johor at around 4 p.m. which reaches K.L. by 10 p.m. and got me a ticket in the chair car.
All set and we started around 10.40 a.m. Poor kid of mine could not go very fast as we had plenty of time and we had to keep the speed limit to 110 kms which is the normal speed allowed. The roads are so nice that it is very tempting and many a cars just go at speeds more than the allowed limit. We had a lovely journey and had a picnic lunch I had taken in one of the resting areas which is built along the North South Express Way which is what the high way is called.
We returned the rental car and my sonny dear put me in the train and left for Singapore from Johor.
I have traveled from Singapore to K.L. by train quite a few times but never in day time. Once the train started moving I realized the scenic beauty around the Railway track was very very beautiful. I could see some thick palm trees and suddenly there were many banana trees and then there was some patch of dragon fruit garden and then some small streams were flowing. The train was mainly passing through Green Vegetation and not through towns. I had some magazines with me and I was looking out of the glass window from time to time trying to see if I could recognize any of the plants which had grown in plenty.
The train was going quite slow as the Railway system is not that good as compared to the Roads here. I was thinking it could be made into such a tourist attraction if fast trains with lovely coaches could be run from KL to Singapore.
The train reached an hour late but still I did not feel bored at all and was relaxed for a change enjoying the journey.
I was not at all tired and felt as if I had just gone for a lovely ride and back home.
Another thought also came to my mind. I was wondering if I could have done the same in India starting from Bangalore house to Chennai at around 10. 30 a.m. and reaching Bangalore by the night. At this point of time it is impossible to even think of such a thing as it would take 2 hours just to come out of city limits in Bangalore or even Chennai. Incidentally Bangalore to Chennai (340 kms) is a shorter distance than KL to Singapore.

1 comment:

vasukumar said...

Your post made me remember the road journey from johar baru to Kl that we made. Palm trees all along the way and very very good roads. Good eating places on the way.You are right, train journeys have a double charm.