Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Good thing about Indians

I have written too many complaining articles. Let me write something postitive even though it appears like a left handed compliment.
The first time I went abroad it was to malaysia in 93 December via Singapore. I had few hours in singapore to catch my next flight to K.L. I was sitting in the lounge watching people around.
I happen to meet an Indian travelling in the same Air India flight who was travelling to India as the flight was going back to India via K.L.
He was a professor from IISC Bangalore. I was happy as usual to see a Bangalorean.
He was coming from some African country after attending a seminar. He said he was booked in one of the sleek airlines (I don't remember which one) which get the efficieny awards all the time. He missed his connecting flight to India after landing in singapore as his flight from Africa was delayed. When he approached the ground staff he was told curtly but politely that all flights are full and they can not help him in any way and will see if any seats are available on the coming days. They said it is not their fault and left him to fend for himself. He then approached AirIndia and some good fellow Indian helped him to get a seat in that particular flight after great difficulty as it was a very busy holiday season. It was two days since he had come to singapore and living in airport with few dollars in his pocket. He said if you want efficiency and smartness you go to these great airlines. If you want inefficient but humanitarian airlines always go to Air India. But for me it is this humanitarian side of our country which has helped. poor fella was so happy to nibble at the cake served indifferntly by the aged airhostess, saying that this is the decent meal I am having in two days.
This humanitarian consideration I have also seen. The immigration department of other countries are for that matter embassies are very strict and you sort of get intimidated and wonder always if you will get that visa .
I happened to be in the police commissioner's office in Bangalore for tejas's visa(Indian visa) extention which acts as an immigration dept. in Bangalore. I was waiting for my work to be done and watched as some bangla desis approaching the counter. They had some problem, they were students who did not get their reservations in train to go back and so their visa was expiring before that date. I heard the clerk shouting at them but finally I could see that he did help them and gave them that extra two or three days they wanted. This is what I call the Indian humanitarian side and I never felt intimidated at that office but did get irritated with so many forms to fill and so many criteria to meet, to get the visa. If only we can add the right amount of efficiency with this it will be nice I suppose.

1 comment:

vasukumar said...

let me add a twist to the tale. Indians are bored with efficiency(we are an evolved race you see) but they thrive in chaos.Their brains work on all 360 degrees and can find solutions to seemingly insurmountable problems.
On a sober note, we understand constraints of resource,time,money far better than first world counter staff can ever manage in their collective lifetimes.